Besides having a great sweet taste, it has anti-bacterial properties which work as a natural remedy for many common problems which people may suffer from. Honey is known as one of the oldest medicines over the world. In ancient Egypt, honey was the most used medicine, besides the Romans who were treating their wounds with using honey. Honey has a great impact in improving your health in countless ways, now we will discover the health benefits of honey.
1. Healing wounds and burns: it has been shown that honey is very effective in healing wounds and burns and it could keep them clean away from infection. After gently cleaning the wound with warm water, apply a layer of honey on a dressing before covering the wound. You should change it every 24 hours.
2. Beautiful skin: honey has anti-bacterial qualities which are particularly useful for the skin. Honey helps in improving the dry skin and acne problems too. Put some honey on your skin, after 20 minutes you can wash your face with warm water and you will find that honey leaves your skin moist and clean.
3. Reduce ulcers and other gastrointestinal disorders: there are some recent research which has shown that honey treatment may help disorders such as ulcers and bacterial gastroenteritis. Take 1 to 2 teaspoons of honey on an empty stomach (half an hour before a meal) up to three times a day as it helps in providing pain relief and healing.
4. Digestive and immune systems: honey could be used as a homemade digestion aid, as by preparing tea with honey and lemon. Honey has friendly bacteria which works in favor of keeping your immune system healthy.
5. Increase athletic performance: modern studies are showing that honey is superior in maintaining glycogen levels and improving recovery time than other sweeteners.
6. Prevent cancer and heart diseases: honey contains antioxidants which are very useful in reducing the risk of heart diseases and some types of cancers.
7. Blood sugar regulation: although honey contains simple sugars, but it is not the same as white sugar or artificial sweeteners. Honey has a specific combination of fructose and glucose which actually helps the body to regulate blood sugar levels.
8. Reduce cough and throat irritation: honey helps with coughs, specially the buckwheat honey. In a study of 110 children, a single dose of buckwheat honey was just as effective as a single dose of dextromethorphan in relieving nocturnal cough and allowing proper sleep.
9. Anti-bacterial and anti-fungal: “All honey is antibacterial, because the bees add an enzyme that makes hydrogen peroxide,” said Peter Molan, director of the Honey Research Unit at the University of Waikato in New Zealand.
10. It is also said that honey is very useful in improving the eyesight, urinary tract disorders, bronchial asthma, weight loss, diarrhea, and nausea.