As a parent you could know what your child is like when he is well, also you can see the changes in his/her mood, appetite, activity and behavior which may refer to that your child is developing an illness. There are signs which indicate that your child is unwell, to know these signs and to know its effects and progress; just read this topic. If you feel that your child needs to be seen urgently, so you should take him/her to see a doctor.
You should be concerned to see a doctor, if the signs which appear on your child are more urgent such as these common signs:
- Skin color and appearance: if your child appear to have a purple mottling on the skin of the extremities or unusual paleness, so you have to see a doctor.
- Breathing: if your child seems to have difficulty in breathing or breathing noisily or rapidly, so it is urgent to see a doctor. And if your child is in a very severe condition, you will see a dusky color around his/her lips.
- Alertness and irritability: if your child is suffering from illness, he/she will make some abnormalities such as poor response to things around him/her, weak cry, sleep more, less active, irritability or become more drowsy. If you see one or more of these signs on your child, you should see a doctor.
- Fluids in and out: how much your child is drinking and passing urine: If your child is not passing some urine every 6 hours or is drinking less than half of the normal amount, so it is urgent to see a doctor to check if he/she is becoming dehydrated.
- Fever: The infection is often causing the fever viral which needs rest and fluids, but in sometimes it could be bacterial and needs treatment with some certain antibiotics. So, we can say that the fever itself is not harmful. If your child shivers with the fever, you have to take him/her to see a doctor. If your baby is under 3 months and with a fever over 38o, he/she should be taken to see a doctor as the cause is often hard to find and the other signs of illness could be difficult to detect.