Koshary or kushary is very popular and delicious meal as it is the national dish of Egypt.It is a highly popular dish that people eagerly wait to eat this beloved dish because of its delicious taste which is about unusual combination consists of mixing lentils with macaroni, rice, spicy tomato sauce, fried onions and garbanzo beans into a single dish. At first, this idea will sound strange to you until you taste it and you will know the reasons of being the favorite dish among Egyptians. It is served in almost every Egyptian home, every Egyptian restaurant and even on every Egyptian street corner.
In this topic, we will show you koshary recipe, ingredients and how to cook it in your home by yourself.
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil.
- 3 cups of water.
- 2 cups uncooked white rice.
- 1 teaspoon salt.
- 1 package of macaroni.
- 1 cup beluga lentils, soaked in water.
- 5 onions, minced.
- 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil.
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper.
- 2 cloves garlic, minced.
- 4 ripe tomatoes, diced.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt.
- 3 tablespoons distilled white vinegar.
- 1/2 cup tomato paste.
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin.
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper.
Directions of making the Kushary dish:
- First, heat one tablespoon of vegetable oil, put the rice and move it till it coated with the oil, add 1 teaspoon of salt and 3 cups of water, it will boil then the liquid will be absorbed, it will take 20 to 25 minutes to be ready.
- Bring a large pot full of salted water, put the package of macaroni after its boiling, it will be cooked within 8 minutes, drain it well in a colander, return it to the pot and keep it warm and ready.
- Soak the lentils for 30 minutes before cooking, cook it at the same way of cooking rice, put two cups of water and 1/2 teaspoon salt with the lentils into a pot and it will be ready through 15 or 20 minutes.
- Heat one tablespoon of vegetable oil to fry the onion till it become in a nice caramelized brown color through 10 or 15 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and the chopped tomato, 2 1/2 teaspoons salt, cumin, black pepper to half of the onion mixture mixed in the vinegar into a saucepan, it will boil then reduce the heat to medium-low and it will take 12 minutes to be ready.
- Bring serving plates and begin to put a spoonful of rice, macaroni then the lentils. Sprinkle the top of the dish with some of the browned onions, cooked garbanzo beans and tomato sauce.
Try to prepare this fabulous dish “Kushary” of Egypt and tell us about your opinion and suggestions.