There are many things to prepare to give a great presentation. You’ll need to practice the delivery of your presentation and make sure that the content would be easily understood by your audience.
A presentation will be more compelling to the audience if there is data visualization involved such as infographics, graphs, and charts. These can be easily done by using a graph maker or any other online tools that can help you create comprehensible data visualization.
Why Do Charts and Graphs Make PowerPoint Presentations Better?
- Through graphs and charts, you’ll be able to summarize a large data set and turn it into an interesting visual form.
- They make it easier for the audience to process data being presented to them.
- They basically make presentations visually appealing.
- They can transform complicated data into a simple form.
Common Types of Charts and Graphs
Before you create charts and graphs for your presentation, you should know first the types of graphs that you can use. Here are some of them:
- Bar graphs: With bar graphs, data, quantities, or figures are presented graphically using bars or stripes.
- Line graphs: A graphical presentation that emphasizes data that changes over time.
- Bubble charts: This type of chart is used for comparing the relationships among data objects in three numeric-data dimensions.
- Pictographs: Pictographs are used to represent data using images.
- Multiseries charts: This enables the visualization of trends and relationships across multiple datasets.
- Pie charts: This is a type of chart showing data in a circle chart. It is used to depict numerical proportions.
These are just among the many charts and graphs that you can utilize. Each one of them is capable of making your presentation better.
How Do You Create Charts and Graphs for Your Presentation?
There are many ways to visualize data for your PowerPoint graph presentation. But the best thing to do is to use graph makers like Venngage. Online tools like this one are very helpful as they provide data visualization templates.
Another great thing about it is you can choose any template that you like. Venngage also allows you to customize the template you’ve chosen. You can change the color, edit the template, add photos and logos, and change anything you want. These templates are amazingly convenient and allow you to save more time for other tasks you need to work on.
How Do You Creatively and Effectively Use Graphs and Charts for a Presentation?
While graphs and charts have proven useful for any presentation, it is still important to take these following guidelines into account to ensure that they are effective when used.
1. Know your key points and focus on them
The goal of every presentation is to deliver information in a way that the audience would easily understand without overwhelming them. Using graphs and charts is helpful to achieve this goal. However, not every piece of data can be presented through charts or graphs. Therefore, concentrate on the key points and do not include unnecessary points in the visualization.
2. Choose the appropriate graph and chart according to the data you’ll present
It is very important that you are familiar with the usage of each graph. This enables you to select the right one based on the data you’ll present. So before you decide which chart to use, take the time to study the uses of charts and graphs.
3. Avoid overusing special effects
It’s totally okay to make your presentation more innovative and creative. However, when you’re going to use graphs, it’s better to avoid incorporating effects like shadowing and shading. These effects are usually unnecessary and may just make your chart unclear.
4. Using backgrounds is not ideal
The reason that presenters use charts is to make the information accurate and easier to digest. Using backgrounds on your charts would just go against that objective.
5. Be careful when choosing color combinations
Aside from ensuring the clarity of your presentation, it’s also important to make it visually attractive. And one of the things you should consider in order to accomplish this is to use the right combination of colors. If you’re having a hard time doing this, you may look for color combination guides online or use free chart templates.
6. Be mindful of the font styles and font types you’re going to use
Fonts are your best ally to bring clarity to your presentation. Therefore, be careful when selecting the typographical emphasis (bold, underline, and italics). Don’t forget to be consistent as well. You might want to stick to one font for the title and one font for labels.7. Practice presenting the chart you’ve created
It’s important to practice presenting the chart you’ve prepared. You can also research tips for presenting graphs and charts.
There’s no doubt that charts and graphs give life to every presentation. However, it is not something that can simply be added to your presentation. It requires careful selection for it to work on your presentation efficiently.
We hope you find these tips helpful. Good luck with your upcoming presentation! You will surely nail it.