There are many things that we look for when we open a newspaper or a magazine, one of these things is caricature. It has a magical effect on you when you see it and read the comments that are said by the characters in the caricature. It creates a sense of humor and draws the smile on our faces.
Caricature may seem to be similar to portraiture as there are some features that are common between both of them, however there are also differences that make you differentiate between them. In portraiture, most of the drawings are for persons and the portrait artist concentrates on all the features of the subject that is drawn. The portrait artist does his\her best to show all the details of the subject that is drawn in order to finally appear as a real portrait. But what about caricature? In caricature also, the artist draws persons and concentrates on the face as it shows most of the expressions , facial expressions, that are necessary to convey a specific message to the viewer. The main difference between subjects that are drawn in caricature and those in the portraiture is that the subjects in caricature are deformed to look funny without concentrating on the small details. The caricaturist only shows the overall shape of the subject that is drawn and keeps the main features that distinguish the character in order to be recognizable. Not concentrating on the small details in caricature saves time unlike portraiture that takes a long time to finally make the drawings appear as real portraits. It is really a good idea to learn how to draw caricatures, so we present to you some tips that will help and guide you to be able to be a caricaturist.
– It is very important to maintain the similarities between the caricature and the main subject in reality to be recognizable.
– The good caricature always comes to convey a message for the viewer by saying something, by using body language or by using facial expressions.
– In order to start drawing a caricature, you will need first to decide the shape of the head and face that you will draw.
– Divide the face with lines to set the place of the eyes, nose and mouth.
– The main features of the face should be obvious in the caricature, so you should take your time to concentrate on the subject’s face.
– You will need to decide the size of the face’s features comparing them to each other.
– The main features and lines should be light in order to be easily covered or erased.
– After deciding the main features of the caricature that make it similar to the real subject, you can add more details.
– The features of the face can be exaggerated to be more larger or smaller, but it is necessary to be large or small in reality. This means that if someone has a big nose, then you can exaggerate it make it bigger and not to make it smaller.
– After modifying the features and deciding the overall shape, you can remove the main lines and the shapes that you drew at the beginning to guide you.
– You can add shades to your drawing and you should pay attention to the parts that do not receive light and those that face a source of light if you want to add it to the drawing.
– There are parts that come to be different from their real shapes in size such as the neck that is often drawn to be thinner than its actual size.
– There are some caricatures that are left in black and white and there are others that are colored to be more attractive and to add realism to them.
– As a beginner, it will be very important to take your time to concentrate on the features that are going to be drawn and to learn from other caricatures that were drawn by famous and professional caricaturists.
– By practicing this art, it will be easier for you to draw without spending a long time.