Pets are among the most beautiful things that we can find at our homes. They make us happy and increase our energy to feel that the life which we live is better. We love our pets and we consider them part of the family and because they are important to us, we have to learn how to deal with them. We should understand them in order to be able to satisfy their needs. There are many problems that we may face with our pets. Some of these problems are related to their behavior whether it is inside or outside home, while there are other problems that are associated with their health and they are believed to be more serious since you have to notice any strange symptoms early in order to be able to quickly solve the problem before it becomes worse. Allergies are among the worst problems that you can face with your pet, so let’s discover how to deal with it.
♦ What are the main causes of pet allergies?
There are many things around us that can easily cause pet allergies such as molds, pollens, dust, drugs, chemicals, fleas, plastics, carpet fibers, cleaners, some types of food and other things that differ from one pet to another.
♦ What are the types of pet allergies?
First of all, you have to know that there are many types of pet allergies and not just one. These allergies can be divided into two main categories which are environmental allergies and food allergies. Each category is divided into other several types of allergies depending on the allergen that causes the problem and affects the health of your pet. The pet allergies do not usually affect the respiratory tract like humans, but instead of this the symptoms appear on the skin in the form of inflammation or skin irritation making the skin itchy. You can also notice hot spots especially in dogs and the symptoms may increase and become more severe to find respiratory issues and ear problems.
♦ What are the symptoms of pet allergies?
The symptoms differ according the type and severity of allergy. Inflammation, skin irritation, head shaking, ear problems, blisters, sneezing, coughing, itching, watery eyes, wheezing especially in cats and hot spots especially in dogs are the main symptoms. The red color appears on different parts of the body such as eyes, paws, anus and chin. The pet responds to these symptoms by scratching the skin, biting and even chewing specific areas in the body. The pet cannot reach certain areas and this is why you may find it rubbing the body against different vertical surfaces in the house and even those on the floor like carpets. Scratching the skin may cause hair loss in certain areas and the symptoms may increase to find scabbing or open sores.
♦ How to solve this problem and manage the symptoms
- In order to solve this problem, you have to make the immune system of your pet strong.
- Avoid those types of food which are high in carbohydrates and contain grain because these foods worsen the problem and increase inflammation.
- Try to regularly clean the home especially those areas at which your pet spends a long time in order to keep them free from allergens and do not use those household cleaners that contain chemicals.
- Foot baths or soaks are highly essential for removing all the allergens or even reducing their amount after walking on different surfaces.
- Having baths using grain free shampoos helps in removing allergens that can be found on the coat and skin.
- Omega-3 fatty acids, coconut oil, quercetin, bromelain and papain are all perfect supplements for reducing allergic symptoms and boosting immunity.