Cannabidiol (CBD) is a substance derived from the hemp plant that’s supposed to help with many common health and wellness problems. Individuals use it to treat their anxiety, depression, stress, and other mental health problems. They say it helps them feel almost instantly calm and able to ignore the fears and stresses that try to creep in and ruin their days. CBD users also claim that it helped to heal many physical health ailments, including pain, inflammation, sleep disorders or problems, and acne. It has also been used in treatments for many serious conditions, including epilepsy, glaucoma, Parkinson’s disease, Huntington’s disease, and even cancer.
There are also many claims that CBD can make you look (and maybe even feel) younger. Some users report that CBD creams have helped to eliminate wrinkles and minimize signs of aging. A product that can treat many physical and mental ailments, as well as fight aging, sounds too good to be true—is it? Let’s take a closer look.
How CBD Works
Your body has an endocannabinoid system loaded with naturally-occurring cannabinoids designed to send and receive signals associated with hormonal and immune system responses. When you take CBD (a product without THC), the cannabinoid content jumps and helps your endocannabinoid system to reach homeostasis. You can buy CBD in multiple varieties, from ingestible capsules, oils, and gummies to topical ointments, creams, and lotions. The internal application typically works fast for mental health treatments and sleep disorders, but the creams are best for skin problems and specific sites of pain.
So, when you use a broad-spectrum cream, such as Penguin CBD cream, a top seller, the CBD ingredient, cannabinoids, terpenes, and other nutrients can penetrate deeply into the top layers of skin, entering the bloodstream as well as providing a layer of protection that lasts beyond the first application. It can help with pain, inflammation, skin disorders, protect against the sun, and more.
CBD for Anti-Aging?
Given what we know about how CBD works within the body, it seems logical that it can lend itself to anti-aging. It has an innate ability to moisturize and protect the skin against many harmful elements, so it should be able to help with wrinkles and age spots as well. There’s ample anecdotal evidence to support this fact, and makeup companies all over the world are creating skin creams, lotions, cleansers, bath salts, serums, and more that have anti-aging properties. Those who have tried it claim that it has been a life-changing experience in their daily skincare regimen. The problem is there’s a lack of research on the products to confirm that they actually erase signs of aging. The U.S. Government has placed some pretty harsh restrictions on clinical studies of CBD in the past, but it’s now opening its eyes to the potential health benefits and offering grant money to further research.
Despite inadequate research, there’s evidence to show that CBD has many benefits for your epidermis. “There’s definitely a lack of research on the subject, but the studies that are out there suggest that CBD is anti-inflammatory and potentially antimicrobial, meaning it could help fight bacteria and pathogens,” says Joyce Imahiyerobo-Ip, MD, chief cosmetic dermatologist at South Shore Medical Center in Massachusetts shared with MarieClare.com, “[but antioxidant properties] can result in anti-aging benefits.”
You’ll have to await further research if you want conclusive evidence that CBD is an excellent anti-aging ingredient. In the meantime, the general consensus is that CBD could have anti-aging properties that make a person look and feel young again. Let’s look at some of the many ways CBD can benefit a person’s anti-aging journey:
- Returns Skin Elasticity: CBD contains anti-oxidant properties that are known for retuning skin elasticity and boosting your overall skin health. Wrinkles are a result of aging, but they’re also a result of sun exposure, smoking, extensive stress, and other factors. Preliminary evidence indicates that CBD-based creams like Penguin CBD and serums help to tighten downtrodden skin while helping to prevent further damage.
- Protects Against Skin Cancer: Skin cancer is common, especially if you live near a beach and go swimming often. Many cases of skin cancer are caught and removed before further damage occurs, but some develop into melanoma, an aggressive and usually deadly form of skin cancer. Protecting your skin from the sun is the easiest way to prevent skin cancer, and CBD can help. It’s a common ingredient in sunscreens and after-sun lotions because its anti-oxidant properties chase away free radicals and treat damaged skin.
- Removes Age Spots: CBD also contains skin normalizing properties, and many serums are being developed as a spot corrector treatment. It can not only diminish acne and the scarring that comes with it but also target dark spots that make the skin appear older and more weathered.
- Improves Sleep: Many people don’t realize that the amount of sleep you get is directly correlated with your skin’s health. Sleep deprivation increases cortisol levels (the stress hormone), which can increase inflammation in your epidermis. It leads to dark circles and wrinkles. It also increases the time it takes to heal skin problems, so you’ll experience sleep problems for longer.
- Makes You Feel Younger: Don’t forget that CBD is an all-around aid for your mental and physical health ailments. It can actually make you feel younger inside by dashing away feelings of anxiety, stress, pain, and other ailments commonly felt as you age. When you remove some of your physical and emotional burdens, it makes you feel young again, a sensation your skin can feel. It will minimize the creation of new wrinkles and help you look and feel younger for longer.