Are you shopping for your engagement ring or for giving a birthday gift to your sweetheart? You should know about the 4 C’s of diamonds. A diamond cut is a crucial C, and you should know how to identify the most suitable diamond cut that will suit your needs and style. Check out these reviews to know more about the different diamond cuts and cutting styles.
To know how the different diamond cuts differ from each other, you should know about the anatomy of the diamond. There are two main parts called the crown and pavilion. The crown is the top part and pavilion is the bottom part. Other parts of the diamond are:
- Facets: These surfaces can be polished
- Table: It is the most significant facet at the top
- Culet: It is the facet at the bottom tip, and it is not always visible to the naked eye.
- Depth ratio: It is the height of the diamond when measured from table to culet.
- Diameter: It is the width of the diamond when measured from the girdle.
Different types of diamond cuts are:
The shape of a diamond is different from the cut. The shape refers to the outer lines, and the cut refers to the arrangement of the facets of a particular cut of the diamond.
- Round: It is the most popular diamond cut. This is a brilliant cut and has 58 facets. It reflects the lightest; therefore the diamond sparkles beautifully and appears bright.
- Princess: It is also a brilliant diamond cut. When this cut is made, there is less wastage of the diamond because two stones can be formed from the same diamond. This means that the princess cut diamond is less expensive as compared to the round cut diamond. But, it appears larger than the round cut diamond because it is square. It is the best diamond cut when you are looking for a beautiful engagement ring.
- Emerald: The emerald diamond is a classic choice. It has less brilliance as compared to the other diamond cut types. It is the least expensive diamond. Make sure you get the best size clarity and carat of this diamond.
- Cushion: This diamond type has a square shape and rounded edges. It has a pillow-like appearance. It is the most popular diamond cuts chosen for the engagement rings. It sparkles a lot as it has an excellent brilliance.
- Radiant cut: This diamond cut is available in a square or rectangular shape. It is a combination of emerald shape and round shape diamond cut. There are 70 facets in this diamond cut.
- Asscher cut: It is a unique diamond cut and similar to the emerald cut diamond. There are steps like facets and trimmed corners. It is square. It was developed in 1902 by Joseph Asscher. It is also known as a square Emerald cut diamond.
- Marquise cut: This type of diamond cut has a slender shape. There are two sharp points on either end. It has a large surface area and is best suited to people with long and slender fingers. This cut has 58 facets.