Stainless steel is one of the best metals which are used for making different things that we use. It can be found in pots, kitchen appliances, pans, sinks and even jewelry. This type of steel is widely used and is preferred by many people because it does not rust, does not cost a lot of money, lasts for a long time and can be easily cleaned. Jewelry pieces which are made of stainless steel are elegant in their designs and do not differ from other metals which are commonly used for making jewelry such as silver but before using your stainless steel jewelry, you first have to know how to clean it in order not to quickly lose them. There are several methods that are commonly known for cleaning stainless steel jewelry and some of them are effective while the others can cause damage to your jewelry. To know more about cleaning your stainless steel jewelry, take a look at the following tips.
1. No for water: It may be thought that using water for cleaning jewelry is not harmful, but do you know that it can damage your stainless steel jewelry? Using water for cleaning your stainless steel jewelry can leave spots that result from the build-up of calcium and magnesium when the water is left without drying jewelry.
2. Avoid using soap: Using soap leads to creating spots on your stainless steel jewelry pieces and these spots are caused by the soap scum. Although using dishwashing liquid is not also recommended, it is thought to be better than soap and less harmful in terms of the scum that is created to cause spots on jewelry.
3. Warm water & dish washing liquid: Warm water is not harmful like cold water and this is why you can use it for cleaning your jewelry after adding two or three drops of any mild dishwashing liquid. Scrub your jewelry gently through using a clean and soft cloth which is dampened with this soapy water.
4. Plain toothpaste: You can use plain toothpaste and a soft toothbrush or cloth for scrubbing your jewelry and cleaning the dirty spots. Keep away from using any toothpaste that contains silica and is used for whitening your teeth.
5. Rinse thoroughly: After scrubbing your jewelry gently, rinse it well and dry it thoroughly using a dry cloth in order not to leave spots.
6. Use a cleaning polish: You should avoid using soap for cleaning your stainless steel jewelry, so what should you do? In order to clean your stainless steel jewelry, you may need to purchase a cleaning polish which is especially made for cleaning stainless steel jewelry pieces and removing any finger prints, dirt or even dust on them. Make sure that the cleaning polish does not contain wax.
7. Different ways for using the cleaning polishes: Using any cleaning polish differs according to the type of the polish itself as there are polishes that require soaking your jewelry in the cleaner for a specific period of time while there are other polishes that require being sprayed on the jewelry pieces and wiping the jewelry thoroughly with a clean soft cloth or towel in order not to leave any spots on the surface of your stainless steel jewelry.
Note: Use a lint-free cloth for cleaning your stainless steel jewelry and scrub or wipe your jewelry gently in order not to scratch it.
– Keep your stainless steel jewelry stored in individual bags away from other pieces of jewelry which are made of different metals in order not to scratch your stainless steel jewelry and damage it.