The most crucial step at the start of any wedding is to send out the save the dates. It informs your guests about when the wedding is and gives them ample time to prepare for it. You could also think of this as an informal invitation to the wedding, and thus, having that casual essence to it allows designing it not to require much effort. Creating a save the date is pretty straightforward; however, there are a few factors that need to be kept in mind when writing it.
- Make it precise and to the point.
- Let the guests know that a formal invitation will follow
- Send the cards at least 6 months in advance
- Choose the perfect design
Custom save the date letters should be to the point, including who, when, and where, and the wedding date.
- Furthermore, you can inform your guests that a formal invitation will follow as a reminder so that they do not confuse you and save the date letter as a formal invitation.
- It is imperative to send the letters a few months in advance so that the recipients can clear out their schedules and make time for the wedding and that it does not clash with any other event that may occur during that day.
- While designing the card, you can either think of a theme that will match the wedding theme or the formal wedding invitation theme. They should be kept simple and elegant and nothing too over the top.
The most important part before the letters are sent out should be proofreading. The spellings of the bride and groom’s names should be checked. The date should be checked in case the month or year may be wrong to avoid any sort of confusion for the recipients.
Ways to send out your Save-The-Date
There are multiple ways to send out save the dates letters; it can either be done in an old-fashioned way, sent to each person’s house as a physical letter, or it can be done online or through social media.
- Whatsapp can be used to send it to all close relatives and friends, or if not everyone’s phone number is available, it can be done through Facebook by making a group and posting it there.
- The new advancement in technology all over has made accessibility to such tools extremely easy.
What to not include in your save-the-date
- To let there be a difference between the formal wedding invitation and an informal save the date letter does not include the venue of the wedding, the reception, dinner or ring exchanging time, etc., because that doesn’t let the save the date be simple.
What to do if it’s a Destination Wedding
If it’s a destination wedding, you may want to send out your save the date letters a year or so in advance so that the guests have everything sorted since destination weddings do take up more time and days than a wedding that is a local affair. This will make it easier for the guests to save up and clear their schedule for the wedding or at least let you know whether they will be able to make it or not in the time since not everyone can get away from work, studies, etc.
Thus, the place where the wedding will take place can be mentioned in the save the date letter. As shown in the example below,
- “Save the date and pack your bags!!
Justin and Amanda are tying the knot
17th August 2023
Sending out the save-the-date cards
As you send out wedding save the date cards, whether they have been customized by you or chosen from designs that were made previously, you will realize that not only is this process exciting for you, but it gets your guests excited as well for the wedding beforehand and that they have something to look forward to.
- Your elegant save the dates may give your guests an idea of what type of wedding you’re having and what sort of gifts they need to bring to make your big day exceptional indeed.
Not only that, but it also gives you an idea of how many guests will actually show up to your wedding, and thus you can budget accordingly and get all the arrangements made.
Tips for choosing the perfect save-the-dates
- Go for minimal cards: Adding more color and vibrancy means adding too much to your card. The minimal it is, the better it’s going to look.
- Florals and greens: Nothing can go wrong with flowers around it. Your save-the-date cards will look beautiful with florals and greens changing their face.
- Send them on time: The most crucial thing about save-the-date cards is that they must be sent out on time. Otherwise, the guests won’t understand their concept of them.
- Add your personalized touch: Adding your customized touches will make the cards memorable for your family.
- Don’t add too much: Lesser is always elegant and looks beautiful, so add less on the card and make it look gorgeous.
- Go with the wedding theme: Give a glimpse of the wedding theme with the save-the-date card.
Use the proper etiquette: Use proper etiquette in writing and sending out the card to impress your guests.
- Get a beautiful photoshoot done: For the picture on the card, get it done with your significant other and have it printed on the card for your loved ones to see.
- Dress appropriately: You need to look suitable for your photo shoot, so plan it accordingly and dress nicely so that your pictures turn out to be excellent.
- Design your cards on time: Designing and sending out the cards on time is an important detail you cannot forget about.
A save the date’s only purpose is to inform people about the date and between whom, nothing more. These cards are the epitome of elegance if the correct etiquettes are followed. Make sure you follow these tips to create elegant save-the-date cards in the future.